Friday 23 March 2012

DIY Pew Ends

DIY Pew ends:
Search out a good florist for the flowers that mean the most...button holes, bouquets, especially if you're not confident handling DIY tasks. HOWEVER! Always consider the Compromise without compromise option and  think of making your own pew ends for the church:

How to make a Pew End for £2.70 each:

When I researched pew ends they were nearly £8 each for the cheapest and I thought why pay out when I could see something I made and worked on myself when I walk down the isle. Something that isn't just generic. For mine I:
  • Either take a silk flower candle wreath (I sourced mine from The Range for just £2 each) or alternatively make your own by consulting craft websites or shops. They can anything you want to fit your theme, shells, wicker, flowers, pearls and any size you want depending on the pews/chairs you are using! Let your imagination go wild! I recommend  http://www.ehow.com/how_6562487_make-floral-candle-rings.html
  • Once you have a circular base you can start to build up layers. I utilized organza pull bows which are sooooooo easy to use after a few practice goes :-) (These were £4 for a pack of 10 from my local craft shop) Tie your large bow around a small part of the wreath and secure with string/ribbon or super glue. Most pull bows come with integral ribbon to tie as standard. 
  • Tie thick satin ribbon in your chosen colour, in a knot behind the large bow onto the wreath to form 2 long ribbon tails. Cut the ends of these at an angle to create a point. These can be as long or short as you want again depending on the pews you are using.
  • Finally use a smaller thin ribbon or thread to tie behind the organza bow to form a long loop to hook over the pew ends. make sure you leave them long enough to get over the pew ends but short enough so they hang at the right height!
  • I stopped here as my candle wreaths were quite intricate and I didn't want to go nuts! But depending on your theme you can add as much as you like. Why not sew sequins or small craft flowers onto the ribbon tails, tie extra beads to the wreath or highlight the bow by pinning a brooch (from a charity shop or ebay for pennies!) in the center. 
  • Try and make your pew ends look as similar as possible as they'll look more professional. Take your time and if possible get people to help you form a production line. My mum and my fiance were expert bow pullers by the end of the day!



No comments:

Post a Comment